Whenever I run out of money for the month I have a few go-to meals that are easy, nutritious and cheap. One of my favourites is beans and rice. It is a healthy meal and has no added sugar, which is another plus. So, here is my version of beans and rice!
1 large can black beans
1 large can kidney beans
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 small can corn
2 cups rice
1 bell pepper
peper, salt and other spices to your liking.
* I like to eat vegetarian (and this one is even vegan) a couple times a week due to our budget. But if you don’t want to, you can easily add minced meat or chicken breasts to this recipe. You can also add tofu or any other meat replacement. Be creative!
- Cut up your onion and bell pepper. I like to make them the same size as the black beans.
- Add coconut oil to a pan and heat this up. If you use meat, prepare this first.
- Add the onion to the pan and let it sit for about a minute.
- After the onion you add in the bell pepper and leave it on low heat for 5 minutes.
Cook the rice according to the package while you wait for the veggies to finish.
- Add the cans of black beans, kidney beans, corn and diced tomatoes and add your spices. I like to use pepper, salt paprika powder and a teeny bit of chili powder (but if you like spicy you can add more). Let it cook for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Once the rice is ready you are basically done. I like to add the rice to the mixture of beans, but you can also have them on your plate separate.
- Top off your plate with some cheese. Enjoy!
Bonus – Left overs
We usually do not finish the entire meal and have bit left over. I just mix-up the beans with some salsa and have the left overs as a stuffing for a wrap. I mostly add some lettuce to the wrap to have more greens in there, and maybe even some more veggies like a bell pepper, a zucchini or eggplant. Do whatever you prefer!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know what changes you made so I can be inspired for next time! Let me know in the comments below!